Total Pageviews

Thursday 31 October 2013

Camp- Finau

Camping out is what we students of Reremoana school year 7's and 8's look forward to in the year. It is a fun experience to learn about new things. We can get the opportunities to achieve our goals and find new hobbies. 


In most camps we need teamwork and as individuals we have to collaborate together. In our camp this year (2013) Mr Fourie chose groups and 2 students to lead them as always. There will be activities such as initiative courses that uses our initiatives. The leaders are not the only ones who are suppose to lead and do all the talking, it is a group activity that if anyone has an idea the whole group tries it.

Our 2013 camp was a blast and I bet everyone had loads of fun and has had a few laughing moments. The slippery water slide was humongous and its safe. It is made of rubber and is about  50 to 80 meters with a pool of water that stops you from hitting the hard cement concrete at the bottom. At first we started halfway and as the a couple of days passed we started from the top. It goes down the cliff and theres a bump that makes you go flying to the bottom with a loud and big splash. Even Mr Fourie had a go and made he made the biggest splash. The bottom was my favourite part. 

The first day went slow. We had the initiative course and Archery. Archery is not my kind of sport, I did bad but I didn't give up although I was almost steaming with anger every time I missed but my group members cheered me on. My group members are Liam Haddock and Jansje Strydom ( group leaders), Chloe Thompson, David Wilson, Ishaiah Cross , Yunosuke Yumashitya (preferred as Yuno), Danielle  Walden, Jamiah and I (Finau Cava).

The rifles were my best activities. It was my first time so I did really bad with my aiming but after some shots I did pretty good with my aiming. I shot some tins and even the little ones. Russell tamepo and Alan Rayner wanted me to shoot more so they tied a little bullet case by the tins and I shot it with a single shot and it cracked open. I did pretty good, in fact I was the best rifle shooter with the total of 40 points . I bet the best boy rifle shooter (Sam Yates who had 29 points) and the best girl rifle shooter (Leslie Hiwarau with 19 points). My name went around about my shooting which was cool. Good luck beating that!

The abseiling wall was the scariest because I was afraid of heights.To estimate it was about 13 meters. Going up was the worst part part, it was like climbing up something that goes upwards around the tall tree. But the man showed me the trees and the horizon and told me not to look down, he's been doing this for 20 years! The people down below looked really tiny. I was shaking so much and took my time. I had a great feeling when I reached the bottom and to come and think about it I JUST ACHIEVED MY GOAL! and I went down one more time but faster than the first time.

Then there were activities like rock climbing(I made to the top because Deakan and Sams dad gave me an extra boost) and Hobo stoves (We made pancakes!) but the best thing about the place was the spectacular view of the sea. The city lights up at night which was a pretty good sight.

There were also night activities like the Y-games, camp cooking, don't remind me about the talent quest, the burma trail and we didn't do spotlight because it was really late at night. I shared a cabin with Mikyla Black, Emily Mculaugh and Danielle Walden. I also learned how to do a flip on the trampoline on our free time (more like a rollie pollie) but I had the best camp so far.

Then we went to snow planet. It was my first time and I chose to do skiing because I knew that snowboarding might be dangerous, and that I would be the only girl to do snowboarding if I chose to do it. I learn to ski and found it pretty easy. I went down the practice course than started going up to the first snow bump. After a while I got board so I went to the top second bump I fell at first but then got to the hang of it. The snow smelt funny and was like sand. I tried going to the top after a while 2 times but I fell 2 times even though Aprils dad was cheering me on when I fell on my second time. It was freezing cold (-40 degrees) but we had fun. The adults joined in and took some photos, Mr Fourie and Mr Munro made the adults day by playing a little in the snow. Jansje fell and broke her leg while Callaghan broke his arm.



No comments:

Post a Comment